Saturday, December 27, 2014

Annoying a Conservative - It's Just Too Easy

Conservatives, and in particular conservative Christians, seem to look for anything over which they can feel offended.

what eye thynk: For example, take this photo released by White House photographer Pete Souza on Christmas Eve:

The photo was taken at the annual White House Science Fair this past summer and shows the President posing with a Girl Scout troop from Tulsa, Oklahoma, all of them wearing tiaras.

A rational human being would see this and think, "Aw, now there's a dad with daughters."  Conservatives turned it into another Obama Hate-fest:

  • from The-Monk:  He won't wear it for long...it has a Christian cross on top. And we all know how much he hates that.
  • from SuperEvilGenius:  I feel bad for these girls.  They have no idea what a POS this guy is.  It's like the little kids that were photographed with Hitler. How do you live that down.  Poor kids.
  • from armbar93:  He is reverting back to the bathhouse years.  I'm sure it brings back fond memories of his buddies from the "down low club". (sic)
  • from ChristAlive: They are all white.  Even the white fairy in the middle.  He is touted as black to rule the knuckle draggers in the hood.
As for that last comment, I note the irony of anyone using the screen name "ChristAlive" to be so blatantly hateful.


On Christmas morning, Neil deGrasse Tyson took to Twitter with some jokes--all cleverly based on fact--and conservative Christians proved once again that they have no sense of humor.

One of his posts read: "On this day long ago, a child was born who, by the age of 30, would transform the world.  Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642

I thought it was clever, (I love anything that has an unexpected twist), and I shared it with my husband, who describes himself as a born-again Christian.  He wasn't offended, so I guess he isn't conservative enough to party with the far-right.

There were other deGrasse Tyson posts:
 "QUESTION: This year, what do all the world's Muslims and Jews call December 25th?  ANSWER: Thursday"
"Santa knows Physics:  Of all colors, Red Light penetrates fog best. That's why Benny the Blue-nosed reindeer never got the gig."
"Merry Christmas to all.  A Pagan holiday (BC) becomes a Religious holiday (AD). Which then becomes a Shopping holiday (USA)."
You would have thought, with all the hue and cry about the commercialization of Christmas, that his last post might have gotten some support from the Right, but no.

  • from IAmEvilHomer: you're even a Jackass on Christmas huh?
  • from Don Schaum: Only a small & uncharitable man would take time on Xmas morning 2 take shots but Merry Christmas to you anyway Neil.
  • from Brian Fagioli:  This is disrespectful to Christians.  Jesus created the science you cherish so much.
I have to wonder, if conservative Christians like Mr. Fagioli really believe that Jesus created science, then why do they refuse to accept evolutionary and environmental sciences?  And why do they hate Mr. deGrasse Tyler's science series "Cosmos" so much?

It is as though, for those living on the far-right side of Christianity, being able to take offense at something/anything/everything is seen as a way to measure their piety. Do those who manage to stay perpetually affronted earn degree badges?  Is there a ceremony to pass out gold stars? How many stars does it take to earn a VIP pass to the pearly gates? 

When I consider the God of Love that I learned about in Sunday school, something tells me these Doctors of Devoutness are going to be very disappointed.

1 comment:










  1. I am the husband mentioned herein and I was 'born again. It's too long a story and not really relevant but the short version is; I went from being an agnostic to being absolutely convinced. So, yes, I was born again but I wasn't converted to being an idiot.
    I found the Bible I'd been given as a kid when I was baptized. For the 1st time it made sense to me. I was hungry for truth. I found it by reading what written to be Jesus' own words. Every thing he taught us was about love and understanding.
    HE never told me to hate or to be prejudice. He never said white people were better than non-whites.
    But HE did teach me to respect authority. And, if I'm not mistaken, President Obama is the authority in every sense. Can't tell you for sure why some very many whites hate him, but you gotta figure Race plays a big part.
    Racism in the name of Jesus; imagine that.






















    ReplyDelete