Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mitt Romney, Warm and Fuzzy?

1.   Let’s face it, Mitt Romney has a personality problem--he really doesn’t have one. His wife, Ann, has been brought in to “warm up” his image.

what eye thynk: In an interview a few days before the Republican National Convention, she spoke with correspondent Chris Wallace and described how Mitt had ironed his own shirt just that morning. “I noticed he was doing laundry last night”. (My husband occasionally does laundry too, but I don’t necessarily feel that announcing that to the general public earns warm and fuzzy points.)

During her speech at the RNC on Tuesday night, she spoke to female voters telling them that “You can trust Mitt”. (Trust him to do what? To make sure I pay more in taxes so he can pay less? To take away my right to make my own health choices?) “No one will care more.“ (About who--the rich? ‘Cause he doesn’t even appear to be aware that I exist let alone “care” about me.) And notice, that, while these statements were enthusiastically cheered by the Republican faithful, Ann Romney offered no details on why I should trust him or how he was going to show he cares. Platitudes without facts do not make me feel warm and fuzzy.

She went on to say his wealth is his own doing, “no hand me down”. In an interview earlier this year, Mr. Romney said “I did get a check from my dad when he passed away. I shouldn’t say a check, but I did inherit some funds from my dad.” Well, either you did or you didn’t. You would think, as husband and wife, they might have gotten their facts straight on this. (Once again, the warm and fuzzy thing eludes me here.)


Earlier in the campaign, when asked about Mitt’s refusal to release more of their tax returns, and in an effort to bring this whole trust-Mitt-he-is-the-best thing into the public discussion she said “You should really look at where Mitt has led his life and where he’s been financing”. Well, yes, Ann, we’d love to do that. We’d love to know, is he investing in America or just fleecing it? But, see, your husband won’t let us. Secrecy for no apparent reason doesn’t get my warm and fuzzy going and it doesn't make me trust the man; it just makes me wonder what he is hiding.
 
 
2. Mitt himself has tried to explain his apparent inability to connect with voters on a personal level.

what eye thynk: Earlier this week, when asked about this issue, he answered “Remember that Popeye line, ‘I am what I am and that’s all what I am’”.   Apparently not even Mitt can explain the void where his personality should be.

According to a story in the New York Times this morning, in 2008 Mr. Romney told friends that, looking back on his unsuccessful bid for the Republican nomination, he felt he had come off as a caricature he did not recognize: emotionally uncaring, intellectually inauthentic and ideologically malleable.

Well, with all the issue hopping he has done since then, at least he can say that nothing has changed there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment