Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Is America the Greatest Country in the World?

This video was taken from Jeff Daniels' TV show Newsroom.  It may not make you stand up and cheer.  It probably won't make you smile either.  It doesn't have cute kittens or puppies in funny situations.  It does have some terrific acting, but that may not be enough to entertain you.  The one thing I feel pretty sure about--it will make you think.



what eye thynk:   I don't know if I agree with his contention, but I can't argue with how he got there.  Yes, there is more to greatness than facts.  Heart, spirit, attitude, faith are all part of the same equation; call it the "soul" of the people, but how do you measure that?  And should you even have to?

In the end, I know it's just television.  But I am still thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Over the course of our history many great documents have been written and preserved. It might be a stretch to call a script a patriotic document, but what I just saw was compelling.

    I am an American and I remember 'that' America. The one from yesteryear. I write while stifling tears. What the actor Jeff Daniels said was what I feel in my heart. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. the change in this country from what we knew as children to what we know now has been slow and almost invisible. We have gone from a country that was once as he said, to a country that really isn't the greatest any more. Most of what he said as far as where we stand on a global ladder is correct. Over the past few weeks, I have done some research on just where we are, and we are no longer at the top except in things that we shouldn't be proud of. Our health care is worse than some other countries, education, housing, income, all of that. What he said and how he said it was an eye-opener. His performance was so good, that it was almost hypnotic. It made me stop and listen... closely. I have felt for a long time that "something" was missing in this country. And what he said just about sums up everything. My reaction: wow!

    ReplyDelete