Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Three Quick Facts: The Good (Starbucks), the Bad (San Diego Mayor) and the Ludicrous (Bradley Manning)

Another day of quick thoughts...

1.  The Good

The Affordable Care Act requires that employers provide health insurance for all employees who work at least 30 hours per week.  Starbucks does not intend to follow other businesses into cutting back employee hours in order to avoid paying for employee health care under the ACA.  CEO Howard Schultz says that his company already provides health insurance for part time employees who work only 20 hours per week and he has no intention of changing that now that the ACA requires less from him.
One more reason I'm a Starbucks fan--and their coffee ain't bad either.

2.  The Bad

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner is being sued for sexual harrassment and wants the city to pay for his defense. He blames San Diego for his problems because the city never gave him sensitivity training.
People like Mr. Filner are why our take-out coffee cups come with "hot" warnings.

3.  The Ludicrous

Bradley Manning, recently sentenced to 35 years in military prison for releasing over 700,000 classified files, battlefield videos and diplomatic cables to WikiLeaks, now wants the government to pay for hormone treatments so he can serve his sentence as a woman.  "As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me.  I am Chelsea Manning.  I am a female."
I'm sorry that BRADLEY is unhappy in HIS body, but I don't see where the U.S. government owes HIM any favors.

No comments:

Post a Comment