Saturday, January 4, 2014

Quick Fact: Republican Candidate Says His Domestic Violence Conviction Shows He Is Ready for Washington

The Maine primary has a new Republican candidate.  Erick Bennett (R), is challenging Susan Collins (R) for her seat in the Senate.

In 2003 Mr. Bennett was convicted of domestic violence after attacking his wife, who has since divorced him.  One would think that this would eliminate Mr. Bennett from any consideration, especially among Republicans who are still searching for a way to appeal to women voters.  But Mr. Bennett is using an unusual tactic in dealing with his less than stellar history with women: he is claiming that this conviction shows his "guts and integrity".

"The fact that I have been jailed repeatedly for not agreeing to admit to something I didn't do should speak to the fact of how much guts and integrity I have.  If I go to D.C., I'm going to have that same integrity in doing what I say, and saying what I do, when it comes to protecting people's rights as well as their pocketbooks."

He also told the Bangor Daily News that his conviction and jail time has encouraged him to pursue a "pro-family" agenda.
Susan Collins' place as the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate would seem to be secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment