Monday, June 30, 2014

Impeach the Supreme Court!

I know this is supposed to be Monday Quote day, but THIS:
The Supreme Court has spoken.  Employers can prohibit women's access to birth control. 


what eye thynk:  I am beyond incensed.

The Court notes that its decision is "narrow," saying that it applies only to prescriptions or devices designed to prevent a woman from getting pregnant.   It does not apply to other medical practices that may be prohibited by a person's religion -- i.e. transfusions or vaccinations.  

In other words, your employer can tell a wife/girl friend she is on her own if she chooses to use birth control; but, that same employer must provide coverage to a husband/boy friend for transfusions and vaccinations--even if it those practices are against your employer's religious beliefs.  No prejudice there!

The Court claims their decision prevents discrimination.  Against WHOM?  ONE employer can dictate the health choices of HUNDREDS of female employees and we're supposed to believe that isn't discriminatory?!  

The Court reasoned that the Religious Freedom Restoration Act requires that "corporate objectors" be awarded the same "accommodation it already provides nonprofit organization objectors."   The problem with that statement isn't the logic used to reach their decision.  It is the fact that there is such a thing as the "Religious Freedom RESTORATION Act in the first place. I was against the passage of that conservative gift-basket of an act back in 1993 and I find it even more offensive today, especially given the interpretation of the act in today's political climate.

Evidence of the harmful aspects of such an act can be seen in the Supreme Court's determination to use the existence of that pointless "restoration" to take away of woman's right to make her own family choices.  Because, you know, a woman can't be trusted to make these kinds of decisions by herself.  

I began this blog back in early 2012 after finding myself sitting in front of my television with tears running down my face, listening to another report of a red state voting to prohibit a woman's right to legal abortion.   I began to write in order to vent; but after 800+ posts, where do I go now?  

I am so angry at being seen as second class simply because I was born with a vagina.  And I am angry that other "Christians" are using their conservative political agenda to keep me in permanent servitude to THEIR interpretation of the Bible.  And I am angry that our lawmakers and our Supreme Court are abetting them in their cause.

I - am - just - so - angry.

1 comment:

  1. I have to wonder; how close is this decision by our ultimate tribunal to that which we fear in the 50's & 60's? Same kind of ruling, different "isms".
    Back then all good Capitalists (Americans) abhorred government control over how many babies a (presumably married) couple were permitted to have. I am, of course, referring to the Communistic RED MENACE.
    Growing up in the 50's we were taught that capitalism was good and communism was bad.
    Today, with Capitalistic Moguls taking our [free] government, I have to wonder ...

    ReplyDelete