Monday, July 13, 2015

July 13 - Monday Quote

By now everyone knows the Treasury Department is considering adding a woman to the $20 bill.  At first I was really excited about this idea.  Then I realized that they don't intend to replace Hamilton, just add a woman along with his picture--sort of like an after thought.  When I realized that our government doesn't think a woman deserves a bill all to herself, my excitement level went down several notches.  I'm not against it, just living with a lesser degree of "Yippy" on the issue.

While the discussion continues, suggestions for which historical female should join Hamilton, (Susan B. Anthony is leading in the latest polls with Harriet Tubman coming in second) continue to be offered.  Gloria Steinem put forth Sojourner Truth, the woman who escaped slavery and became an abolitionist orator, but not before making a comment that is funny only because it is so sadly true.

monday quote:
"For awhile I thought we should just put the Koch brothers on and be done with it." 
(Gloria Steinem, feminist, political activist, 1934-  ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment