Thursday, October 18, 2012

Random Thoughts (a.k.a. Cleaning Out My Note File)

1.  I just came across this in some notes I made right after the first presidental debate but never got around to posting it.  In his editorial titled "Moderate Mitt Returns", New York Times columnist David Brooks wrote about Mitt Romney this way: "At long last (he) began the process of offering a more authentic version of himself."

what eye thynk:  Authentic people don't have versions...that's what makes them authentic.


2.  The Republican campaign insists on ignoring easily checked facts regarding the deficit.  Romney: "The President said he'd cut the deficit in half.  Unfortunately, he doubled it."

what eye thynk:  The truth is that, no, President Obama did not reach his goal of cutting the deficit in half, but he didn't double it either.  The deficit was $1.19T in January 2008, it reached $1.41T in 2009, today it is $1.09T. 

I don't know what math system Romney is using, but where I went to school 1.09 was less than 1.19, not double.


3.  In answer to a question on abortion during last week's vice-presidential debate, Paul Ryan said, "We don’t think that unelected judges should make this decision; that people through their elected representatives in reaching a consensus in society through the democratic process should make this determination."

what eye thynk:  If I have to choose who would be fairest to judge an argument on any issue, not just Roe v. Wade, I would choose an unelected court using existing law and precedent over a politician relying on his personal opinions while trying to impress his party or his home district. 

I realize that even the Supreme Court, can lean conservative or liberal depending on its make up, but they are still free to interpret existing law without fear of being removed from the bench in the next election. 

That being said, my body is not a vessel for democratic discourse.  Any discussion on the subject of what to do with my uterus should be between me, my family and my doctor.  My congressman doesn't get a vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment