Saturday, March 1, 2014

Republicans Say the Darndest Things - Heartless Even on Valentine's Day

Virginia State Senator Steve Martin (R)


On Valentine's Day, Virginia State Senator Steve Martin received a card from the Virginia Pro-Choice Coalition asking him to reconsider his stand against abortion and "not break our hearts."

He responded on his Facebook page:  "If it's your expectation that I should support such nonsense, I will be breaking your heart.  You can count on me to never get in the way of you 'preventing an unintentional pregnancy.'  I'm not actually sure what that means, because if it's 'unintentional' you must have been trying to prevent it.  And I don't expect to be in the room or will I do anything to prevent you from obtaining a contraceptive.  However, once a child does exist in your womb, I'm not going to assume a right to kill it just because the child's host (some refer to them as mothers) doesn't want it."

His use of the word "host" created a media windstorm and he later told reporters that he had been misunderstood--"I don't see how anyone could have taken it the wrong way"-- but had edited his response to read "bearer of the child."
How can anyone be this clueless?

1 comment:

  1. didja ever notice that pious, prick, pregnancy, pro-life, and pro-choice all begin with the letter "p"?
    There were tests in school with similar examples and they asked which one didn't 'fit'?
    My answer from the above list would be: pro-choice. The others all see to clump together inextricably.

    ReplyDelete