Sunday, July 20, 2014

A Special Bible Message for the GOP and My Journey Back to Where I Started

  • "No" on raising the minimum wage?  
  • "No" on expanding Medicaid in (most) red states?
  • "Yes" on reducing access to food stamps?  
  • "No" on tax reform that would see the rich pay their fair share?  
  • "Yes" to the belief that poor people are poor because of an in-bred "cultural pathology" that makes them unwilling to work as hard as their "betters?"
  • "Yes" on thinking we should be the boss of the world and that war on our terms is the answer?  
  • "No" on student debt relief?  
  • "No" on an extension of unemployment benefits?
  • "Yes" to the belief that conservatives know more about what God wants and He wants them to say"No" on science?

Why, yes, the Bible does have something to say about that:


what eye thynk:   This photo put me on a journey of self-examination.  

When I first saw this photo, it made me smile.  Then it made me feel a superior kind of anger.  Then I realized it is exactly that feeling of superiority which makes the GOP tick and I was left with feeling sad...for myself for having fallen into a trap; but mostly for them and their particular, self-important, self-perpetuating species of self-delusion and for their inability to see their pride as antithetical to the beliefs they tout so loudly.

I thought about how sick I have beccome of the far-right Christian minority claiming they know how everyone should live--that their Christianity is better than your Judaism, better than your Buddhism, your Islamism--even that their Christianity is better than your Christianity.

I realized I have reached the point where I have to consciously remind myself that these uber-conservative Christians ARE, in fact, the minority.  And I thought about people I know, believers like my husband, like a NY actor friend of mine and another friend who is a local pastor--Christians who don't condemn those who are different or claim to have a direct line to God's home phone.  

Then I looked at the photo again and remembered that the guy in the middle recently got himself "removed" and realized I had come full circle.  I was smiling.

1 comment:

  1. and so sayeth the husband herein ~
    as I read your (my wife) comment today I began to feel what you were feeling. I have always known how precise you can see, and then explain, things.
    Throughout this days blog you were spot on. You said the words I struggled to find and then hit every one of them.
    Thank you Dear Wife. Thank you. I hope this days blog goes viral.
    signed ~ your husband, the Believer.

    ReplyDelete