Monday, June 8, 2015

June 8 - Monday Quote

I read a news article a few days ago that brought me to tears.  It concerned Jang Yeong-jin, a North Korean man who defected to South Korea.  The article explains how South Korea held him for five months because he couldn't tell them why he had defected--not wouldn't, but couldn't.  

It may be one of the saddest testimonies of the damage done by the suppression and/or persecution of homosexuality that I have ever read. 

You can read more of his story here.

monday quote: (The underline is mine.)
"I was too embarrassed to confess that I came here because I felt no sexual attraction to my wife.  I couldn't explain what it was that bothered me so much, made my life so miserable in North Korea, because I didn't know until after I arrived here that I was a gay, or even what homosexuality was.
There are many homosexuals in North Korea who live a miserable life without even knowing why.  What a tragedy it is to live a life without knowing who you are."
Jang Yeong-jin in South Korea

1 comment:

  1. this quote is from the article'

    "...as a gay man growing up in the totalitarian North, where the government maintains that homosexuality does not exist because people there live with a “sound mentality and good morals.”

    Sounds like republicans to me.

    ReplyDelete