Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Another Teenager is Dead. Let's Go Get Stuff!

Another black teenager is dead, shot by a policeman, this time outside St. Louis.  The stories of what happened are so diametrically opposite that the parties seem to be talking about two entirely different events.  We may never know the entire story of what happened, but that is not the point of this post.  Everyone with a heart has to feel sadness: but something else came to my mind as I watched and read about the aftermath of the tragedy.
A QuickTrip convenience store burns during a night of rioting in Ferguson, Missouri last Sunday.


 ---> RANDOM THOUGHT:  When did "Someone got shot!  Let's go get stuff!" become a reasonable response to the loss of a life?  

It disgusts me.  It cheapens the sorrow and makes mock of the anger if we believe the answer to one family's personal tragedy is to avail ourselves of someone else's property and to destroy someone else's source of income.

I am not saying anyone should accept these losses silently; but there is a huge difference between a civilized, responsive demonstration and using the disastrous event for personal profit. 

While the young man's family continues to mourn their son and the innocent businessmen these people stole from are cleaning up and worrying about their loss of income, the looters are at home, wearing their stolen shoes and watching the aftermath on a brand new, pilfered big screen TV. 

I wonder: Do they think they helped solve the problem?  And are they proud?

5 comments:

  1. Good question. I'm sorry the racist on DU (Purveyor, 1StrongBlackMan, PowerToThePeople, MineralMan , Brickbat, LeftyMom, CreekDog) couldn't handle you asking the question. But you're better off really. The whole site is full of racist and Jew haters. Tread lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for both your responses. The negative answers on DU didn't really bother me. It sort of proved my point; and made me ask again, "are they proud?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I appreciate your inquiry, you're thinking way too far ahead for the DUers. Believe it or not, what you asked was a complex question to them. That you would even ask is beyond their limited ability to comprehend. Naturally, those who looted had every right to do so because of 1) white privilege and 2) what has been stolen from them over the past 500 years. That's as deep as the DUers are able to think, if they think at all. There ideology is what they must follow regardless of where the truth exists. Know their ideology and you'll automatically know what the answer is before the question is asked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that was interesting. I just went to check responses on my DemocraticUnderground page and found my membership has been closed and my posting privileges revoked. I've sent an e-mail to the DU administrator and asked for an explanation. We'll see what happens. I am always looking for sites where I can share my blog posts, ones that welcome different viewpoints without rancor. I thought DU would be one of those. Guess not.

    ReplyDelete