Friday, August 29, 2014

Bob McDonnell: Straight or Gay, Despicable is Despicable

Former Virginia Bob McDonnell, center

Former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell is currently on trial for corruption in office.  

It is obvious to anyone following the trial, that he and his wife did not have a happy relationship.  This week, he moved out of their joint home.  His new living arrangement is,  to say the least, interesting.

what eye thynk:   When I was a kid and in the middle of a childhood spat the point of which is lost to me, I remember my grandmother telling me that the things we dislike most in other people are usually, if we look closely enough, the things we actually dislike about ourselves.  

I am reminded of that conversation as I consider the case of Bob McDonnell's new living arrangement.  A well-known homophobe, ex-Governor McDonnell refused to include sexual orientation in the list of hiring discriminations he would not tolerate as Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Mr. McDonnell is a graduate of Pat Robertson's Regent University--the same Pat Robertson who blamed 9-11 on America's tolerant attitude toward gays--and has a history of agreeing with most of Mr. Robertson's most egregious anti-gay opinions.

Which brings me to how Mr. McDonnell's new roommate brought my grandmother's teaching to mind.  This week, he moved out of the home he had been sharing with his wife and moved in with the Reverend David V. McGuire.  Reverend McGuire was recently removed from his post as pastor of St. John's Catholic Church in Highland Heights after pleading guilty to having gay sex in a parking lot on Thanksgiving night.

Anyone who has followed this blog or who knows me personally can tell you I have no problem with the Reverend McGuire being gay.  In fact, I feel sorry for the heavy burden his church puts on him, a burden that requires him to be less than the man God created in the first place.

But the case of ex-Governor McDonnell is another matter.  Mr. McDonnell is either a) a closet homosexual who, as my grandmother would say, hates himself or, at the very least is b) taking advantage of the innocent hospitality of a man whose ilk he has treated with derision his entire life.

Take your pick, either choice exposes Bob McDonnell for the wretched human being he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment