Tuesday, March 3, 2015

R.E.S.P.E.C.T


what eye thynk:   Just before I sat down at my computer to write today's blog post, I watched Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu exiting the House after his speech to the joint session of Congress.  

I watched Republican after Republican reach out eagerly to shake his hand, thanking him for his words; and I thought, "When was the last time I saw a Republican reach out to shake President Obama's hand?  When was the last time a Republican thanked the President--for anything?  When was the last time a Republican responded to the President with anything but derision?"


When the leader of a foreign government is awarded more respect than you give to the leader of your own country, you cannot, CANNOT, call yourself a patriot.  Y O U   C A N   N O T.


Under our democracy, we can publicly disagree with the President's choices, we can disapprove of the President's policies, we can even dislike the President as a person; but he deserves, and--by virtue of the office to which he was democratically elected, has earned--at least the same degree and display of respect the GOP so willingly gave to the leader of a foreign power this morning.


My husband said I shouldn't write an angry post today.  He needn't worry.  I feel no anger. What I feel is sad, so very, very, very sad.

1 comment:

  1. you have every right, as a real patriot, to feel sadness. the republican party is much larger than the klan, only not much different.
    that remark will bring angry responses from republicans, but i say to them; "look, look at yourselves. look at our President and what he has accomplished, not because of you but in spite of you, and tell me ~ no tell God, tell Jesus, it has nothing to do with race," you sicken me,

    ReplyDelete