Saturday, March 7, 2015

Today is the 50th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday in Selma, Alabama















This billboard was erected near the Edmund Pettus bridge in Selma Alabama by Friends of Forrest, Inc. just days before today's commemoration of the historic, watershed civil rights march that became known as Bloody Sunday.

Nathan Bedford Forrest, whose picture is prominently featured on the left side of the billboard above the words "Keep the Skeer On 'Em," was an officer in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.  On December 24, 1865, he met with other Southern veterans in a small town in Tennessee where they created a secret society they christened the Ku Klux Klan.  Mr. Forrest became the Klan's first High Wizard.


Patricia Goodwin, who heads the group responsible for the billboard, insists the content of the billboard and the timing of its appearance are totally innocent.  "That billboard was put there with positive intent to ask people who come to Selma to explore and enjoy our 19th century history."


I would be more inclined to buy her line if the big, colorful, heroic, picture of Mr. Forrest were not so prominently featured and the identity of the "'Em" he refers to were not so obvious.  As it is, well...the timing of its appearance alone deems it extremely tasteless at best. 


But then Ms. Goodwin, a confederate activist who refers to the 1965 march in Selma as "the Mother of All Orgies," ruined her own argument by adding, "Does it say anything in the Constitution where a certain faction of people cannot be offended?"


what eye thynk:  No, no it doesn't.  Your right to be offensive is safe under U.S. law; as is my right to see your "friendship" with Forrest and the perpetuation of all that he stood for as morally bankrupt.   Ain't America grand?

1 comment:

  1. At first, while reading this, tears welled in the corner of my eye. But, I read on hoping for some level of redemption. I found none. What I found was a not so thinly veiled reminder to the African Americans in the region AND the State AND the Nation "The Klan is Alive!"
    The last line here "Ain't America grand?". My answer: 'sometimes'. Many years ago I was called upon (as a deputy sheriff) to help in 'crowd control' during a kkk march. I was stationed near to the staging area.
    In that more or less private atmosphere I was approached by one of the (kkk) marchers. He gave that 'wink & a nod, good ol' boy look' and made a very ugly racist remark, expecting me to agree.
    I did not agree, but under cover of office and the laws of my State I kept my opinion to myself. He pushed it. I forgot about demeanor and said, "look. you sicken me. If there is an assault on you or any of your asshole friends I will do all that I can to protect you. Our Constitution dictates that. But I don't have to like you. So back off before I find a reason to lock your ass up".
    He walked away/

    ReplyDelete