Monday, April 13, 2015

April 13 - Monday Quote(s)

what eye thynk:  A Republican's response to the religious right that is even more meaningful today...

monday quote(s): 
"I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C," and "D."  Just who do they think they are?  And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?... I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."' 
(Taken from his speech before the U.S. Senate on September 16, 1981, Senator Barry Goldwater 1909-1998)

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican Party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem.  Frankly, these people frighten me.  Politics and governing demand compromise.  But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise."   
(This second quote, from November 1994, was reported in John Dean's "Conservatives Without Conscience.")




1 comment:

  1. My Dad was a Republican. And, like any good son, I became a (Eisenhower) Republican. I was too young to vote in the JFK/RMN contest but would have voted Republican.
    I did vote for Goldwater. Yes, he was considered to be a very conservative man. But, I felt he told the truth, while LBJ flat out lied. Turned out I was right; LBJ did everything Barry said HE was going to do.
    I voted Nixon. I couldn't stand Johnson. Voted Nixon twice. Reagan, too. Twice! Then swung way left and liked Jimmy Carter. The 'machine' ate him up. My Dad predicted as much
    By this time I'd grown up and no longer voted to please my Father. I also no longer voted "Party". And because of this I voted for Bill Clinton; twice! I don't care about his sex life. Look at what he did for the economy ~ golden years.
    Then Dubbya won by stealing Florida with his brother Jeb's help.
    When Hillary went head to head with the junior Senator from Illinois, I was strongly in Hillary's corner. Until I began to listen to a very intelligent and exciting man. Voted Obama twice.
    The main reason I moved away from the Republican Party was Pat Robertson. The Constitution of the United States of America clearly states there must be a separation of church and State. This ain't rocket science folks. Its pretty damn simple to figure out.
    Which brings me back to where I began: a "known conservative" warned us twice, not once, but twice what would happen. Somehow they (the preachers) did get control of the Republican and this country will suffer big time. The Republican party has come to represent hatred and bigotry. It's more about winning than it is teamwork.

    ReplyDelete