Monday, April 20, 2015

April 20 - Monday Quote


 I am so sick of America's conservative Christians telling non-believers that they need to be "saved." Saved from what?  I believe there is a God; it's the Bible that I question, a document written by the most fallible of beings: man.

I'm sick of them acting as though--because I admire Jesus as an historical figure, a great teacher and philosopher, because I regard him as my primary moral guide but do not worship him as the son of God--I am incapable of distinguishing good from evil, or of leading a virtuous life, or of comprehending the essence of kindness or righteousness.


And I am sick of conservative Republican "Christian" lawmakers who persist in passing statutes that would force the rest of us to live by their interpretation of "goodness," by their exegesis of the Bible and it's Jesus.


You can't legislate faith.  If you want proof of that, you only need look to the Middle East.


monday quote:  
"You don’t need religion to have morals.  If you can’t determine right from wrong, you lack empathy not religion." 
(unknown) 

1 comment:

  1. Like me, I get the feeling you can't abide stupid. Like me, you see more than enough stupidity loitering in the hallowed halls of Congress. And, like me, just when you thought they couldn't get any dumber, they did.
    But they didn't 'invent' they bible. They just try to interpret it using their double digit IQ's. It amazes me that which scholars have tried to do for centuries (bible interpretation) some of these morons do while driving to church.
    That, having been said, turns out as a comedic fodder for late TV talk hosts and political pundits.
    This saddens me. You can't legislate Faith. The writers of our Constitution were aware of that and saw to it that "separation of church & state" be one of the guidelines for building this wonderful country. Not being able to legislate faith isn't what frightens me tho.
    What frightens me is in their zealousness, these far right wing dregs of the once proud republican party is giving Christ a bad name. Unlike you, Christ is my Savior. Literally.
    And, getting to that point was a leap of faith. I'd be willing to bet that Christ isn't concerned about getting a bad name. But because of the far right wing nonsense there are some who may not be so willing to make that leap of faith. Too bad, I've never regretted mine.

    ReplyDelete