Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Racisim (His) and Cowardice (Mine)

This morning, as I was turning my car keys over to the parking lot attendant at the theater where I would be performing in less than an hour, I was treated to a 40-ish, well dressed man, explaining to the attendant why he would never vote for a Democrat.  He seemed to believe that the Democratic Party had forced President Obama on the country through nefarious means and now the President is "giving everything to those n.....rs and nothing to the people who made this country."  His expression and expansive gestures seemed to suggest that everyone within hearing distance, (my white self included), would agree with his opinion.  He wanted us to know that he was "not a racist", using the strange logic that since he was talking to the attendant, (a young black man), he was an open and fair-minded individual.   "Heck, I'm talking to you aren't I?"

what eye thynk:   I ignored him and went into the theater to get ready for a performance of Richard III for 350 high school students on a field trip; but I couldn't help thinking about his caustic attitude and how he and his fellow Republicans expect us to believe their non-racist claims despite their racist rhetoric.

Even if you ignore the plethora of new voter ID laws recently passed in Republican led states--laws that will diminish the number of minority voters in those states--you have only to listen to news reports or TV and radio talk shows to see that the Confederate mind-set is alive and well and flourishing in the Republican Party.  It seems that every week there is another racist "oops" moment that is quickly dismissed by Republican leadership as not representative of Republican values and even more quickly swept under the rug following an apology or explanation that the remarks in question were misunderstood. 

"Oops" moments like:
  • Representative Pete Reid (R-Texas), in reference to then candidate Obama's chances to win the presidency: His :"light skin" and "lack of Negro dialect" will help his presidential bid.
  • Don Yelton, GOP official in North Carolina, when questioned about his state's new voter ID law criticized "lazy black people that want the government to give them everything." And this: "When I was a young man you didn't call a black a black.  You called him a negro."
  •  Maine Governor Paul LePage, (R) speaking to a group of supporters:  President Obama could have been the best president ever if he "highlighted his biracial heritage" but said the president refused to do this because he "hates white people".
  • Ken Emanuelson, a member of Dallas' Tea Party steering committee, at a Republican event in support of new voter ID laws: "I'm going to be real honest with you, the Republican Party doesn't want black people to vote" because they'll vote for Democrats.  But, if they would vote the way Republicans tell them to, we would be happy to "allow" blacks to vote.
  • As the President spoke in Arizona earlier this year, a group of protesters sang "Bye Bye Black Sheep", shouted "He's 47% Negro" and carried signs reading "Impeach the Half-white Muslim".  
  • During recent protests over the government shutdown, Sarah Palin and Republican Senator Ted Cruz participated in a protest where a Confederate flag was waved in front of the White House. When the police showed up, one participant said it looked "like something out of Kenya".
  • Again, Representative Pete Reid who, during government shutdown negotiations, told the President "I can't even stand to look at you".  He claimed his remark "was not racially motivated...I am not a racist.  I can't stand this black president because I fundamentally disagree with his actions as President."  Then why was it necessary to describe him as "this black president"?
  • And Joe Wurzelbacher, (you may remember him as Joe the Plumber) Republican activist who recently posted an article on his website explaining that wanting a "white Republican" back in the White House doesn't make you a racist.  If race wasn't part of the equation, then why signify a "white" Republican?  
Man-on-the-street Republicans take their cues from Republican leadership; and the signals that party leadership has sent since 2008 is that intolerance and a lack of respect is okay--just don't get caught and if you are caught have a good explanation ready.

I am ashamed that I came face to face with my own cowardice when a chance to call out racism was thrust at me this morning.  I was embarrassed for the attendant, who had to listen to the condescending jerk, and  I gave him a bigger smile than I can usually summon before noon on any given day, but I wish I had said something to the speaker.  Would it have made a difference?  I don't know; but I should have let him know that our shared whiteness did not make us kindred spirits. 

 I will be regretting my silence for a good long time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment