Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Republican Shutdown Digest: Clueless, Gimme and Druthers

Three semi-connected thoughts on the federal government shutdown and how House Republicans are dealing with the fallout...

1.  We Have No Idea What We're Doing
Representative Marlin Stutzman (R-Indiana) told the Washington Examiner:  "We're not going to be disrespected.  We have to get something out of this.   And I don't know what that even is.

what eye thynk:  "Disrespected"?  Sounds like something I'd expect to hear from some urban gangsta wannabe. It does not make me feel any better to find out that even some Republicans have no idea what they're doing.

2.  Give Me My Money
Representative Renee Ellmers will not be deferring her congressional paycheck during the government shutdown as some Representatives are doing.  "I need my paycheck.  That's the bottom line.  I understand that there may be some other members who are deferring their paychecks, and I think that's admirable.  I'm not in that position."

what eye thynk:  Ms. Ellmer's husband, a general surgeon, makes between $250,000 and $400,000 a year, so I can see how it would be a struggle for her to make ends meet without the $174,000 we pay her.  And I'm sure the 800,000 furloughed Americans--both the low paid clerks out in the hinterlands and her own aides, (who are paid an average of $60,000 a year)--and who will be going without a paycheck while she and her fellow Republicans in the House hold the country hostage, will understand too.

3.   We Want to Destroy Something--You Choose
A Twitter-er, (is that even a word?) by the name of Judd Legume, (great "handle"), described the House's insistence on sending multiple spending bills to the Senate, each putting a different piece of the ACA on the chopping block and expecting the Senate to support one of them this way:  

  • House:  Can I burn down your house? -- Senate:  No
  • House:  Just the second floor? -- Senate:  No
  • House:  How about the garage? -- Senate:  No
  • House:  Let's talk about what part I can burn down. -- Senate:  No
  • House:  You aren't compromising!

what eye thynk:  This links back to Mr. Stutzman's clueless quote to the Washington Examiner, because only a completely nescient House could honestly be surprised that the Democrats in the Senate and the President would be unwilling to identify what part of their signature health care law they are willing to put to the torch in order to satisfy the Republican hunger for destruction.

1 comment:

  1. this is insanity. I doubt there is any connection but circa 1960, Nikita Krushchev, at the UN, stated he'd bring the USofA down without ever firing a shot. Looks like he was almost right ~ our own elected idiots are doing it for him.

    ReplyDelete