Thursday, October 29, 2015

Debate Moderators Send Cruz to School


One of my favorite moments in last night's debate had nothing to do with policy and everything to do with showing up a show-off.

Carl Quintanilla:  Senator Cruz. Congressional Republicans, Democrats and the White House are about to strike a compromise that would raise the debt limit, prevent a government shutdown and calm financial markets that fear of--another Washington-created crisis is on the way.  Does your opposition to it show that you're not the kind of problem-solver American voters want?

Ted Cruz:  You know, let me say something at the outset.  The questions that have been asked so far in this debate illustrate why the American people don't trust the media...How about talking about the substantive issues the people care about?

After going on to complain about questions he didn't like, (OMG, that whiny voice!), Mr. Quintanilla attempted to get the Senator back on track.  Mr. Cruz was not to be denied his time on his soap box.

Cruz:  And Carl--Carl, I'm not finished yet...

After wasting a few more seconds not answering a question directly related to "the substantive issues the people care about", Mr. Quintanilla again attempted to get the Senator back on subject.

Quintanilla:  So, this is a question about (inaudible), which you have 30 seconds left to answer, should you choose to do so.

Mr. Cruz, still confused over who was in charge, remained undeterred.

Cruz:  Let me be clear.  The men and women on this stage have more ideas, more experience, more common sense than every participant in the Democratic debate...

Though, obviously, Mr. Cruz wants to keep his ideas, particularly on the debt limit deal currently working its way through Congress, a secret.

Qunitanilla:  Okay, (inaudible) I asked you about the debt limit and I got no answer.

Cruz:  You want me to answer that question?  I'm happy to answer the question...

(crosstalking)

Cruz:  Let me tell you how that question...

John Harwood:  Senator Paul, I've got a question for you on the same subject.

Cruz: So you don't actually want to hear the answer, John?

Harwood:  Senator Paul?

Cruz:  You don't want to hear the answer.  You just want to...

Harwood:  You used your time on something else.

I'll admit to smiling a little..okay, a lot...when Ted Cruz was cut off.  Any time someone knocks that know-it-all down to size, I just can't stop myself from demonstrating happiness.  It's a character flaw.  I've learned to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment