Saturday, October 10, 2015

Eye Recommend --- Full Interview, Ben Carson on the Economy


FULL INTERVIEW, BEN CARSON ON THE ECONOMY, interview by Marketplace's Kai Ryssdal on October 7, 2015 --
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy
what eye thynk:  Be prepared to be frightened, very frightened.
On Monday, Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal talked with Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson about his campaign, the economy, and how he would change the government if he were elected...

Ryssdal: Here's the most basic question, sir, so I'll start with it first:  Why do you want to be president of the United States?

Carson: I'm not sure I particularly see that as a lifelong aspiration, but in listening to so many people clamoring for me to do this over the last couple of years, I finally decided that maybe I should give it some consideration... But I said, "Lord, if you want me to do this, open the doors and I'll do it."
Oh, great.  Another politician who thinks God has nothing better to do than dabble in American politics.  The Almighty apparently possesses one heck of a sense of humor; because He seems to have told every Republican presidential wanna-be (including those who have already bailed) that they are His "chosen one."
Ryssdal: OK, so let's talk about Ben Carson as president of the United States.  You have said you want a balanced budget amendment... If we're gonna have a balanced budget amendment, government's gonna have to spend less... What will you not provide in the way of government services?... What are you not gonna give the people?

Carson: Well, first of all, recognize that it's not that difficult...
I'll admit to having laughed out loud right there.  Okay, it was more of a snort, but still...
Carson: What I would do is first of all, allow the government to shrink by attrition.  Don't replace the people who are retiring, thousands of them each year.  And No. 2: Take every departmental head... and tell them, "I want a 3 to 4 percent reduction."

Ryssdal:  With respect, sir, you didn't answer the question... It's easy to say trim fat, it's easy to say 3 to 4 percent reduction, but rejecting the premise of the question isn't answering the question.

Carson:  What I'm not gonna continue to do is supply money for everything... that automatically answers your question.

Ryssdal:  All right, so let's talk about debt then and the budget.  As you know, Treasury Secretary Lew has come out in the last couple of days and said, "We're gonna run out of money, we're gonna run out of borrowing authority, on the fifth of November."  Should the Congress than and the president not raise the debt limit?  Should we default on our debt?

Carson:  Let me put it this way: if I were the president, I would not sign an increased budget.  Absolutely would not do it.  They would have to find a place to cut.

Ryssdal:  To be clear, it's increasing the debt limit, not the budget, but I want to make sure I understand you. You'd let the United States default rather than raise the debt limit.

Carson:  No, I would provide the kind of leadership that says, "Get on the stick guys, and stop messing around, and cut where you need to cut, because we're not raising spending limits, period."

Ryssdal:  I'm gonna try one more time, sir.  This is debt that's already obligated.  Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Carson:  What I'm saying is what we have to do is restructure the way that we create debt...

Ryssdal:  I'm really trying not to be circular here, Dr. Carson, but if you're not gonna raise the debt limit and you're not gonna give specifics on what you're gonna cut, then how are we going to know what you are going to do as president of the United States?
Let me say that if Ben Carson doesn't know the difference between the federal budget and the federal debt ceiling, what he would do as President of the United States is make W's 2008 debacle look like a towering example of fiscal responsibility.  He would create a Greece for the Western Hemisphere.
Getting nowhere with this line of questioning, Mr. Ryssdal moved on.
Ryssdal:  Let me turn to tax policy for a second, if I might, Dr. Carson.  You have come out and said you prefer a 10 percent flat tax.  You base it on tithing and the Bible--

Carson:  Not necessarily 10 percent, but I use 10 percent because it's easy to work the numbers.

Ryssdal:  Well, if you're gonna propose a flat tax, then, sir, you gotta give me a number.  So what's your number for the flat tax?

Carson:  I think it would probably be closer to 15 percent. 

Ryssdal:  Closer to 15, OK.  You talk to a lot of economists, they say it's above 20.  My question is how do you make up the revenue that would be lost from changing the tax system we have today to flat tax?

Carson: Well, first of all, recognize that you also close all the loopholes and all the deductions... That's key.  And then you also have to recognize that all the spending that we're doing, in my opinion, is not legitimate spending.

Ryssdal: Explain that a little bit.  How can it be not legitimate spending?

Carson:  Well, the assumption of so many people is that every penny that the government spends is critical... In terms of what we actually need to run the government, I don't think it's anywhere near what we're talking about now.

Rysdall:  Yes. You keep saying we're doing things in the government we don't need to do, but when I ask you what you're gonna stop doing, you don't tell me.

Carson:  Because you don't understand the concept of what I'm talking about.
Alrighty then! 
There is much more in the interview including how Mr. Carson is going to repeal the Affordable Care Act and replace it with a new magical program that will cover absolutely everyone, pay doctors and hospitals more while costing less, and make every American deliriously happy.  Just for the record, he offers the same lack of specifics on his healthcare fairy tale that he does on his fiscal fairy tale. 
This is what happens when you push Republicans for policy specifics--clueless double speak crossed with obfuscation and conservative arrogance--or, to borrow from the Bard--Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5: 
"It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, right. Just spend a little less, and don't worry about those pesky little debts. With brief reference to Kubla Kahn, I wonder how life is in Mr. Carson's private little xanadu. He consistently proves that he proves that he should stick with medicine instead of politics. He seems to have no concept of anything except that. If he were to be elected, it would be a disaster for the military and the economy just to mention two. Carson just pushes people farther to the left.

    ReplyDelete