Thursday, October 1, 2015

Fact Checking the GOP: Fiorina on Same-Sex Marriage

The Denial:

In an interview with Iowa conservative radio host Jan Mickelson last Friday, Mr. Mickelson quoted Carly Fiorina as saying she disliked same-sex marriage, but would accept it as the "law of the land," telling her that words like those "sets off" Iowans.

Ms. Fiorina replied: "That is a quote from someone else, not from me.  I know there are many Republican candidates, Kasich among them, who have said those exact words."

The Facts:

In July, shortly after the Supreme Court's ruling on marriage equality, Right Wing Watch flagged a video posted by Caffeinated Thoughts, an Iowa conservative blog.  In it, Ms. Fiorina says, "I think the Supreme Court ruling will become the law of the land and however much I may agree or disagree, I wouldn't support an amendment to reverse it."

M'eye Verdict:

I was leaning toward giving her only 3 Gops based on the finite difference between saying is the law of the land vs. will become the law of the land.  Then she tried to pass the quote off onto another Republican candidate, so I added a fourth Gop for appending pettiness to her denial of fact.   (I also considered giving her 5 Gops for flip-flopping on the amendment issue since she is on record for answering a 2010 Christian Coalition candidate survey by saying she would support a Federal Marriage Amendment to ban same-sex marriage; but in all fairness, that is another issue.)




No comments:

Post a Comment